Friday, December 23, 2011

Wait! Where did the day just go??!!


One thing I have noticed over the years – bakers like to think of we can do it all! You need this? No problem!! How many people? Sure! I can get that done tomorrow! : )
We have an underdeveloped ability to turn down any task at hand. Of course, it doesn’t always help that sometimes there is not a total understanding on the other end of things of exactly how much time and effort goes into even the smallest of tasks in baking.

Being the only baker in my kitchen crew can create some lengthy and sometimes interesting conversations of explaining why the day has ran so long or why something costs so much. But when I just spent a good 12 hours of decorating gingerbread men and shortbread cookies, I’m sorry, but I don’t feel like simply giving them away. And neither do my cramped up hands and back for that matter.

But all in all – I wouldn’t change a thing! Sure, I put in some incredibly long days. But look at what I have been given the chance to do! I get to play with dough and frosting (some days)! Although the novelty of it wears off, I have to say, probably after the fourth sheet pan or so.
Any way! Merry Christmas Everyone!!! Have a great holiday with friends and family! And remember, as always, to show extra grace and kindness to the hospitality field this time of year ;-)

2 comments:

  1. That is so many hours spent putting some tlc into those gingerbread men.....this time of year must be crazy!Everyone wants something warm and sweet around the hoidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok i totally agree. I was excited to be the one bringing the dessert to the family Christmas party and I probably should have thought of how much time it takes to bake and how much time i actually had. I was making cheese cake and oreo truffles. Easy enough i thought since I have made this cheese cake almost every year. But I forgot that taking in another project made it difficult to really focus on the cake. My issue is that I'm very forgetful when it comes to buying ingredients, or how long something will take me. How do you stay organized because I always miss an ingredient or forgot a step or didn't give myself enough time to let things cool or set. I seem to do this every time i cook or bake. There is always something wrong with my dish that i left out or didn't prepare for.

    ReplyDelete